Quick & Easy Tempeh Taco Salad
Tempeh is hearty protein-rich addition for salads and it’s great at soaking up flavors! Local Registered Dietitian Christina Archer has shared one of her favorite recipes with us to share with you - a super delicious guide for building your own simple and flavorful tempeh taco salads at home!
- 1 package frozen riced cauliflower I get mine from Trader Joe’s
- 1 14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 oz package organic tempeh Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, Whole Foods
- ½ onion diced
- ½-1 package taco seasoning depending on your taste preference
- shredded cabbage or romaine lettuce
- cilantro for garnish
- Sliced olives
- diced avocado or guacamole
- 1 14 oz can beans any variety
- corn tortillas optional*
Elaboración paso a paso
- Let frozen cauliflower defrost at room temperature while you chop up the onion.
- Cook the diced onion in a medium-large non-stick pan until it’s soft. Add splashes of water as needed to keep the onion from sticking to the pan.
- Add entire package of riced cauliflower to the pan. If there are large frozen chunks, just break it up with your spatula as it cooks. Cook 5 minutes or until it’s no longer frozen.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, crumble the tempeh with your fingers (so it looks like ground meat). Add to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add canned tomatoes and taco seasoning. Cook the mixture 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to let flavors combine.
- To serve: Put a couple handfuls of shredded cabbage/lettuce in a bowl then top with tempeh mixture, beans, salsa, olives, avocado and cilantro.
Turn this taco salad into tacos by putting the mixture into warm corn tortillas. Photo: Christina Archer