What’s better than waking up and being one minute away from a warm, delicious breakfast that will keep you satisfied until lunch? If that sounds like a dream, try this super-simple recipe for Overnight Oats from Nancy Martz of Apples to Zucchini Cooking School.You may already have everything you need on hand - the basic recipe is just steel-cut or rolled oats and your favorite plant-based milk. Here are a few flavor combinations we love:• Sliced apples with cinnamon and walnuts•Blueberries and strawberries with hemp seeds• Cranberries and coconut with chia seeds• Banana walnut with flax seedsWhat will you put in your oats?
- Steel-cut or rolled oats. Do not use quick-cooking oats.
- Jar or container with lid
- Water or plant-based milk of choice
- Date or Agave syrup
- Flax Hemp, and/or Chia Seeds
- Diced dried fruit and berries or unsweetened shredded coconut
- Slivered almonds or crushed cashews walnuts, or macadamia nuts
- Fresh fruits
- Fill jar half way with oats (approximately 1/2 cup per serving)
- Add optional ingredients.
- For a one-quart jar, here are some guidelines (will make approximately 2 1/2 servings)
- use up to 1 Tbsp each of seeds
- up to ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup dried fruit
- ¼ cup nuts
- Shake and roll jar to mix ingredients.
- Fill jar to top with liquid (approximately 1/2 cup per serving).
- Secure lid, and shake again to distribute ingredients
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to eat, scoop a serving into bowl with 1/3 cup plant-based milk and heat in microwave for one minute. Or heat on stove, with extra liquid.
- Top with fresh fruit.
- Remember, do not use quick-cook oats!
- You can enjoy Overnight Oats hot or cold!
- Get creative and mix up your toppings to encourage eating the rainbow!