Patriotic Breakfast Parfait
A refreshing parfait that you create from healthy ingredients and can enjoy for a light yet filling breakfast.
- 8 large strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 cups red quinoa prepared and cooled
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 15 oz can butter beans
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk e.g., soy, oat, almond
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp sunflower butter
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup corn fresh or thawed from frozen
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- OPTIONAL TOPPING
- 4 tbsp walnuts chopped
Prepare Red Layer
- Divide the sliced strawberries between (4) breakfast bowls or wide-mouthed glasses.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the red quinoa with the lemon juice and ground ginger.
- Place 1/2 cup of the quinoa mixture on top of the sliced strawberries in each bowl.
Prepare White Layer
- In a mixing bowl, mash the butter beans until smooth and creamy. Add your favorite plant-based milk, the agave sweetener and the sunflower butter. Stir until well combined.
- Evenly divide the buttery bean mixture between the bowls and smooth gently over the red layer.
Prepare Blue Layer
- Place 1/4 cup of blueberries on top of the white layer in each bowl.
Prepare Sunshine Layer and Optional Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the corn and the maple syrup.
- Place 1/4 cup of the sweetened corn on top of the blue layer in each bowl. Add nuts, if desired.
Chris Kalinich is a plant-based culinary instructor and nutrition educator living in Sedona, Arizona who services the wellness needs of northern Arizona and beyond by teaching healthy cooking classes through her business Plant 2 Platter. Photo by Chris Kalinich